[Coco] Memory Expansion Beyond 64k for the Coco 2

Bruce W. Calkins brucewcalkins at charter.net
Thu Jun 28 09:04:49 EDT 2012

There was the J&R Banker which used piggy-backed 64k chips for 128k or 256k
chips for their 256k versions.  Use of the extra memory was clumsy at best.
The 6809 is a 64k CPU and unless the base computer design and the OS
includes Memory Management the use of the additional memory is suited for
little more than simple storage.  Attempting to run separate programs in the
extra banks often resulted in crashes if the stack was not saved and
recovered in the switch between banks.

FWIW; no one has yet published a patch allowing NitrOS9 to boot on the J&R
Banker.  A patch included with the J&R Banker is needed to run OS-9 and all
indications are something similar is needed for NitrOS9.

Bruce W.