[Coco] Memory Expansion Beyond 64k for the Coco 2

Juan Castro jccyc1965 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 09:27:18 EDT 2012

Doc: In the 80s, I worked on a memory expansion that banked the top 32KB
just like you said. They pulled the SELECT pins of the mobo RAMs out of the
socket and wired them to the output of a 74LS138. Eight outputs times 32KB
meant the expansion went up to 256 KB. All using the same kind of DRAM as
the main memory. Hardware project was not mine, I just did firmware
routines so the company's business, made in DECB (!!!) could use the memory.

Aaaron, it's nice to know that would be not good for NitrOS-9. I imagine
another possibility: what about a cartridge that can, internally, swap 16
KB blocks? All RAM could be accessed in addresses C000-FEFF. Maybe divide
into 2 8KB blocks. It would work much like the EMS of ancient PCs. And it
would require no bodily violation of a CoCo 2. (You might recall a question
I asked recently, it was with that purpose.) Should be a simple circuit,
right? Especially if it used SRAM?

Juan