[Coco] An MC68HC11A1P Based Computer Idea

john dumas JohnDumas at austin.rr.com
Sun Jul 22 10:17:32 EDT 2012

On 7/22/2012 7:41 AM, jdaggett at gate.net wrote:
> John
>
> I may very well be wrong as I am working from memory right now and memory only. I may
> have an old product catalog or even a preliminary announcement that may or may not have
> come to fruition. I do seem to remember when I worked down in the Planatation FL facility
> that I saw some literature, where preliminary or what, that stated MC6811 and not
> MC68HC11. I worked there from 1978 to 1983. Could that have been a mistake or not on my
> part or Motorola's part I am not sure. That was 30years ago.
You are certainly correct about "memory fade" with time. I can vouch for
THAT! But, not all memories
fade equally. Some things remain while others slip away. I worked for
MOT from early 70's to 2000 as
Design Engr, Factory Apps Engr, and Field Apps Engr. All but 3 years of
that was in MOS (later
called Microprocessor) Groups. My memory of the existance/non-existance
of 8-bit machines is
still fairly clear (Despite Old Timer's Disease) because I would
certainly have tripped over one if it
existed. Especially as an Apps Engr. If any chip was EVER shipped, some
customer would
have called with a problem. No exceptions! They even wanted help using
INTEL chips!!!!

I'm really very certain that the use of "6811" and "6812" is just a
sloppy way of referring to
the HC chips...........Many folks, even MOT folks, have done that in the
past..........

Of course, there WERE certain chips which were specific to a particular
customer - usually
Delco. For example, the GMCM processor was never shipped to anyone but
Delco. It
was a "6801 instruction set", but not an MCU - only a CPU like the 6800.
But those chips
are still memorable to those who tripped over them.............And 6811
was not among them.

> I may have some literature packed in a box somewhere from all the moves I made over the
> last couple of decades. Google searches are not totally complete. All you can find with old
> literature is if someone has taken the time to scan them into PDF format or other format for
> the web. Literature from the late 70's and early 80's not fully complete.
No. Google searches are not FULLY complete. Never will be. And often
just plain WRONG.
[As my favorite author said "90% of Everything is cr at p". That is
certainly true of Inet.]
But, the datasheet search engines ARE much more complete and I have
found datasheets
for late 70 chips....Not all, I'm sure, but quite a few.........

> If in one day I find such a beast or something I will let you know. I may have something
> packed in a box or on some old computer tapes in archive that I may or may not be able to
> dig out if they have not been thrown away.
>
> james
OK. If there is a helping of Crow to eat, I'm always, always
hungry...........

Have a great weekend,
johnd