[Coco] Off Topic but neato "Tiny $35 Raspberry Pi computer causes big stir on launch day"

John Orwen jorwen at neb.rr.com
Wed Feb 29 16:46:22 EST 2012

On 2/29/2012 3:21 PM, Boisy G. Pitre wrote:
> On Feb 29, 2012, at 3:10 PM, Steve Batson wrote:
>
>> Bill,
>> I really don't see why so many complained about Steve Bjork's idea. Put a
>> small PC board in a CoCo Case with that hardware interface and you have
>> look and feel and more power to boot. Upgrades simply mean a software
>> update for the most part. Emulation opens up endless possibilities while
>> allowing full backward compatibility. I'd bet that a well done emulator
>> based project could be very difficult if not impossible to tell the
>> difference from the real hardware if it was in a CoCo case without knowing
>> in advance or opening it up. If someone is that anal about what's inside vs
>> how it actually performs, they will probably be hacking their own stuff
>> anyway. Nothing wrong with that.
> I think someone should step up to the plate and actually do such a project, and bring it to completion.  Meanwhile, Cloud-9 is still selling hardware for the CoCo and people are still buying it.
>
> The CoCo road is littered with ideas that have been voiced but not acted upon, and projects that have been started but never completed.
>
> If two people working together (Mark and I) can manage to turn our own projects into products that we sell, then so can others.  We didn't wait to get consensus from the community to do it.  We just asked ourselves what we wanted, then built it.  People wanted it and started buying it.  The rest is history.
>
> Best Regards,
> Boisy G. Pitre
In my opinion the FPGA with DW is the way to go.  I would be interested
in the before mentioned project of
a Super ( High speed ) Basic being made available for that platform if
someone is capable of doing that.  If it were made available for
download, I will be willing to buy it.  As the FPGA group grows larger
there may be others interested in it also.  Only time will tell what
there will be a market for.  Many wonderful ideas get buried in the dust
of history.  Its a good thing that the current public school system is
now re-enforcing  creative imaginations in
youngsters since they didn't in our day.
John N0GFB