[Coco] Off Topic but neato "Tiny $35 Raspberry Pi computer causes big stir on launch day"

Steve Bjork 6809er at srbsoftware.com
Wed Feb 29 15:18:27 EST 2012

I was very "up front" that a PC was the core of the project.  You could
run it on a standard PC or use a micro PC inside a CoCo case with an I/O
interface board that lets you plug-in carts, floppy drive, joysticks,
cassette and even a CoCo keyboard.  It was a way to keep the CoCo alive
when so few working CoCo 3 in the wild.

The bottom line, the CoCo experience was as much or as little you wanted
to put into it.

There are some out there that want to use the CoCo to drive their modern
hardware projects.  I would never consider this because there are so
many better solutions out there.  (Basic Stamp, Pic, Picaxe, Arduino and
the Raspberry Pi to name just a few.)

A Halloween prop builders club that I belong are use the Picaxe 18M2 and
MP3 player module to create a LED thunder and Lightning device for less
than $30.  It's hard to find a used CoCo 3 for that price.  (Besides,
the CoCo does not have PWM nor 24 bit audio.)

The CoCo was good back in its day.  Now 32 years later, there is a lot
of good hardware out there to hack with.

Steve