[Coco] Coco BBSs

John Orwen jorwen at neb.rr.com
Mon Feb 13 15:42:46 EST 2012

I can remember the last time I did.
I ran a multi (4 ) line BBS from 1988 until 1996.
It was run on 3 pc's and used Mustang Software's Wildcat BBS software.
It initially had file sections for Tandy including the Coco, for Apple
eventually Macintosh, and Amiga computers.
The Coco section was very active from 1988 until 1990 taking calls from
around the world all hours of the day and then started quickly fading
out of sight as other computers became more popular.
It was initially called "SWL" for Southwest Lincoln and then as it grew
was called "Heart of the Country" HOTC.
Toward the end of its life it had 18 SCSI CD-ROMs online for downloading
from and 3 9Gb SCSI hard drives.
It at the end had Fidonet mail access and downloaded files 24 hours a
day from Planet Connect.
Some of you may remember having called it sometime before 1992. At that
time it became a DOS and PC Windows only BBS.

In the spring of 1996 I made my last BBS call with a modem and quit
receiving modem calls over the telephone line
to a BBS.