[Coco] Thoughts on modern computers (sort of off topic)

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Thu Feb 2 13:00:09 EST 2012

They would have had no problem at all with just the CD/DVD. I loaded all the games from the Mint Software Manager, which is on the Mint Menu. Just click, select the type software, then click on interesting sounding titles for a review, then click "install" if you want it. There were some that just wouldn't run on the computer, but that was because of the speed/equipment (age). Easy enough to go back to Software Manager and uninstall (which comes up instead of install if the software is there). The MP3s would be the same -- if they had internet access (don't right now). With 20-30 minutes of instruction they could do anything they wanted, and anyone real familiar with Windows would only need 5-10 minutes of pointing in the right direction.

Mint was designed to be that easy to use, and is. If some software you want isn't in the Mint repository (it will run all Ubuntu and Debian software also) there would be a learning curve, but with internet access that's not too difficult. Actually if it came up in Synaptic that wouldn't be too hard, only if it was really new and not in the repositories or had to be compiled would there be any issues. On a fairly modern dual core computer the age issue would go away too.

--------------
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 12:52:53 -0500
From: Louis Ciotti<lciotti1 at gmail.com>

I think you are missing my point.  I am not saying that a newbie cannot
USE Linux, but lets face it you really did all the leg work before giving
it to them.  You installed the OS, put the applications on and pre-loaded
it with MP3s. Now had you handed them the computer with the install
CDs/DVDs and what ever manuals are available what would the outcome have
been?  Like I said before....  There is no Computer available today where
you can take a totally green person, and have them writing code faster than
the CoCo or similar machine of its day.