[Coco] Thoughts on modern computers (sort of off topic)

Ries, Rich (S&FS) Rich.Ries at Honeywell.com
Wed Feb 1 14:00:49 EST 2012

Louis Ciotti wrote:
> With the CoCo after connecting it up a totally green used
> could sit down with the book and be making programs in short order.
> I just do not see that happening with any modern incarnation of a
> computer.

  This is in part because the modern computer user is someone who uses a computer to run various application programs. They couldn't care less about adding more memory to the computer, or how to write hardware drivers. They want to turn on the computer, and get on the Internet, or write a letter, or run a spreadsheet.

  We, however are the fiddlers: Need more than 32K RAM? Easy -- here's how it's done. Don't like the DECB command set? Here's the asm code to add more features. Who in the world would add circuitry and code to their big PC to get a parallel output port?

  Again, it's the difference between a guy cutting his lawn, and a small motor mechanic cutting _his_ lawn.

--Rich