[Coco] Thoughts on modern computers (sort of off topic)

Robert Layten rlayten at mymail.lccc.edu
Thu Feb 2 17:18:34 EST 2012

I remember my TRS-80 Model one when I first got it back in 1977 (I was in
the 3rd grade), it had a whopping 4K or ram.  By the 6th grade, I had
managed to upgrade that machine to an expansion interface, 2 disk drives, 2
tape drives, and  an enormous 48K, the following year I had a Percom double
density controller and had managed to get some double density disk drives.
I did a lot of programming on that machine.   Its amazing how much I had
managed to save from my allowance and mowing lawns in the neighborhood.  I
spent lots of money at Radio Shack in those days.

Now days, if I step foot in a Radio Shack once every 6 months, I'm doing
good.

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 4:39 PM, Patrick Wilson <gotitdownpat at yahoo.com>wrote:

> Remember the old days when you considered how to slice up control phrases
> to use individual bits to control actions on memory mapped machines???
> That was when a 16k was "a lot of real estate"!  We did real tight and very
> carefully designed code back then...

* *A Brief History Of Medicine**
I have a migraine.
2000 B.C. - Here, eat this root
1000 A.D. - That root is heathen, say this prayer.
1850 A.D. - That prayer is superstition, drink this potion.
1940 A.D. - That potion is snake oil, swallow this pill.
1985 A.D. - That pill is ineffective, take this steroid.
2000 A.D. - That steroid is artificial. Here, eat this root.