[Coco] Thoughts on modern computers (sort of off topic)

Frank Swygert farna at amc-mag.com
Wed Feb 1 12:23:30 EST 2012

I've put Mint 9 on an older Athlon single core (1.2GHz) computer and
gave it to a friend's early 20s grand kids, who couldn't afford a
computer, and had minimal experience with one. They love it! Admittedly,
they are really just playing a few games I loaded on it (relatively
simple stuff, not powerful enough for major animation) and using it as a
"juke box" (I loaded several hundred MP3s), but they have no problem
with using it at all. Mint is Ubuntu based, but the main design
philosophy is ease of use, ready to run off the CD/DVD. They pretty much
have it. I didn't have to tweak anything on Mint 12 (quad core AMD
machine)... yet. With 12 they started using Gnome 3, which I dislike,
but you can switch to MATE easily. MATE is a fork of Gnome 2 that is
essentially the same as G2 with a few tweaks. I know my message was
long, but read again! Unless you have some odd or just came out
hardware, Mint is pretty much good to go. But we can disagree!!
-------------- Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 08:23:03 -0500 From: Louis Ciotti
<lciotti1 at gmail.com> Very good points. But my point is linux is still
not for a total newbie, heck even widows can be daunting for someone
totally green. I am talking about someone who has never used a computer,
I know probably impossible to find in a modern society, you know almost
like when I was a kid and being first exposed. With the CoCo after
connecting it up a totally green used could sit down with the book and
be making programs in short order. I just do not see that happening with
any modern incarnation of a computer. On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 6:13 AM,

--
Frank Swygert
Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine