[Coco] RadioShack returns...

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Wed Dec 19 21:55:44 EST 2012

On Dec 19, 2012, at 8:36 PM, Bill Loguidice <bill at armchairarcade.com> wrote:

> You know, the return of the CoCo would never fly,

We say that, but look at the demand for the Raspberry Pi, which isn't a consumer friendly "usable" computer. Ditto on the Arduinos. Any such computer would likely be something like an Arduino but in a case, with power supply, and support for video and sound. There certainly seems to be a niche for low cost computing that isn't a full Mac/PC or tablet type device.

> but certainly something
> like an MCC-216, a low-cost programmable FPGA device, probably would,
> especially since it both encourages a type of hacking and is something that
> could be sold as a straight up product for non-casual consumers. The
> MCC-216, for example, presently runs ZX Spectrum, C-64, Amiga, Apple II,
> and Atari 2600 cores. No reason we couldn't eventually have CoCo family
> cores created at some point...

And something like that is probably precisely what would fit with RadioShack, if it could be done affordably. They could launch it with emulation layers to act like all the old RadioShack computers, and tie it in to an anniversary ;-)

-
Allen Huffman - PO Box 22031 - Clive IA 50325 - 515-999-0227 (vmail/TXT only)
Sent from my MacBook.