[Coco] Have no idea what to call it, but, it WAS New tool: WIRED

Luis Antoniosi retrocanada76 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 14:42:48 EST 2012

When you run the HDBDOSC3.BIN or use a DW ROM you can only access DW
virtual drives or the FLOPPY using either DRIVE OFF (0-4) or a
specific DRIVE OFF 0 to make only drive 0 as floppy. You can backup
from DW to the floppy this way using BACKUP 4 TO 0 for instance, you
need to attach a disk image to DW server drive 4  first. But there is
no way to backup from DW to one of your virtual drives in RGB/HDB DOS
hard disks. You would need to backup to floppy and then reboot in
RGB/HDB dos and backup from floppy to the hard disk again what is a
daunting task. And also wears out you old diskettes too.

What WIRED does is it enables raw access to the RGB/HDB DOS drive
under the hood. So it can backup straight from DW to RGB/HDB dos. And
is pretty fast cause is entirely in ML. The only requirement for WIRED
is to run it using the RGB/HDB dos ROM. It needs the ROM to access the
hard drive.

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 1:50 PM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 December 2012 13:37:27 Luis Antoniosi did opine:
>
>> Yes, You you should boot from your RGB-DOS mode and run it from a
>> virtual drive. Then run"wired".
>>
>> Your DW4 server must be in HDB-DOS emulation mode maybe ?
>>
> Confirmed, it must be checked on
>
>> I could make it to work with HDB-DOS and DISK BASIC 2.1 but I don't
>> have RGB-DOS to test it.
>>
>> Try  runm"HDBDOSC3.BIN" it will boot in DW C3 mode. Check if you can
>> access your DW this way doing a DIR 0 for instance.
>
> And that works.  One last question, understanding that my rsdos experience
> is limited since I've been running os9 since '85 or so, where do the
> switches take place between dw access and hdb-dos access, the usual drive3
> is still dw, but drive4 is then an hdb-dos vdisk/file from the hard drive?
>
> It may be that when I ran wired.bas, I did get the proper response but did
> not have dw's server set for hdb-dos translation mode.  It needs a page of
> docs to explain some of these "gotchas'. ;)
>
> However, once explained, it seems to work, and will certainly be a valuable
> tool in our toolbox.
>
> Thank you very much Luis.
>
> Cheers, Gene
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> My web page: <http://coyoteden.dyndns-free.com:85/gene> is up!
> I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
> harder and harder to find any...

Panasonic FSA1-WSX
Commodore 64
Commodore 64C