[Coco] Have no idea what to call it, but, it WAS New tool: WIRED

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Dec 4 15:44:05 EST 2012

On Tuesday 04 December 2012 15:16:36 Luis Antoniosi did opine:

> When you run the HDBDOSC3.BIN or use a DW ROM you can only access DW
> virtual drives or the FLOPPY using either DRIVE OFF (0-4)

Is this not 0-3, like hdb-dos?

> or a
> specific DRIVE OFF 0 to make only drive 0 as floppy. You can backup
> from DW to the floppy this way using BACKUP 4 TO 0 for instance, you
> need to attach a disk image to DW server drive 4  first. But there is
> no way to backup from DW to one of your virtual drives in RGB/HDB DOS
> hard disks. You would need to backup to floppy and then reboot in
> RGB/HDB dos and backup from floppy to the hard disk again what is a
> daunting task. And also wears out you old diskettes too.

Not to mention the fdc in your "pc" _must_ support 256 byte sectored disks.
Mine does not, either logging a several page long Ooops and a crash
shortly, or outright locking up the machine.  Until the advent of dw, I was
sending stuff back and forth using nitros9 and rzsz on the coco working
against a minicom (VT-0102) terminal here.

As you can well imagine, that sets some pretty big sawhorses in that high
hurdle track.  I find I must restrict the linux zmodem to 256 byte
transmission windows due to a near total lack of properly setting up the 7
wire protocol on the coco with todays modern serial driver, which did work
perfectly 15 years ago using sacia for a driver and which could, using the
same rzsz-3.36 I built for us all those years ago, make around 740 cps, 100
cps faster in those days, so now the maximum transfer speed on a sustained
basis is about 635 cps either way.  Obviously a full 80 track ds image
takes nearly an hour to move it to the coco under those limitations.
Drivewire is about half the speed of a floppy, but its many times faster
than that.  I maybe could build a new version yet, but Chuck re-arranged
his web page and licensing so that we can no longer download the src code
free.  I did some code optimizations to 3.36, gaining about 250 cps over
Chucks version but I'm sure by now that he also is using the table lookup
crc calculation method.  The 6x09's do not have a barrel shifter for bit
twiddling, forcing the 6x09's to do very laborious bit at a time shift
loops, excruciatingly slow when all you really need is a tfr a,b clra for
an 8 bit shift right, or a tfr b,a; clrb, for an 8 bit left shift.

So this too, will be a valuable tool, thank you Luis.