[Coco] A Couple announcements.

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Dec 3 16:20:03 EST 2012

1.  I hg pulled the default branch on Ost 29.  This was not setup yet for
using lwtools, and it would not build with mamou, mainly because the re-
entry of the superdriver kit into the repo was not complete.  So I cobbled
up enough changes in the makefiles mostly, to make it build.

That now makable repo is now visible as the nitros9 link of my web page.
AFAIK, all the .dsk's are again usable.

Be my guest, I have about a 350kb/sec cable pipe.

2. I have also been working on a utility I called bootlink.  Its main claim
to fame is that it can, if you have the BDB-DOS autoexec.bas that allows a
timout based automatic boot, to boot any valid OS9Boot file on any hdb-dos
disk of the 256 hdb-dos allows.

If you, for instance have backed up an os9 boot disk made with the hard
drive boot module for your system as the boot in the boottrack, and say
that you have run LINK.BAS to use a default boot from drive 128, you can
now install a different OS9Boot image on a different drive, and reboot to
it, say your newly made boot image has been backed up to drive 255 for this
scenario.

Run, from an os9 shell, bootlink 255, then reboot.  It will still load the
same boottrack from the default drive 128, but when that boot module looks
at the drive to find out where the OS9Boot file is, getting its absolute
address and size from DD.BT and DD.BSZ in sector 0 of the hard drive, it
will now get the address and size for the OS9Boot file in drive 255.

So you can now have a somewhat handier method of rebooting to a differently
configured boot file, one to play games with for instance.

Its in Genes-os9-stf on my web page below.  Be my guest.

The ONLY thing it changes is the DD.BT and DD.BSZ entries in the first
sector of your hard drive, nothing else.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
It takes a special kind of courage to face what we all have to face.
I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
harder and harder to find any...