[Coco] Coco Digest, Vol 118, Issue 3 (Douglas Bell) - Developer System

Frank Swygert farna at amc-mag.com
Mon Dec 3 12:51:07 EST 2012

I suppose you're referring to this link posted by Bill Peirce yesterday:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/02/hardkernal-reveals-pair-of-quad-core-exynos-odroid-u-boards/

Yes, it will run a CoCo emulator. From what I read you'd have to run Linux and use MESS. See
http://perso.b2b2c.ca/sarrazip/emul-coco.html

You might find some useful info athttp://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/Emulators  also.

For a full blown computer I'd consider this:
http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G135235611947
Costs twice as much at $135, but it has everything! This would make a really nice and compact GP computer, or a media play/stream box. I've never seen anything this powerful this small and reasonably priced! If the USB ports were the faster USB 3.0 spec it would be perfect!

For a drivewire server you can't beat the Raspberry Pi for costs, and it should be powerful enough to run a stripped down Linux with the MESS CoCo emulator, but might not due to the RAM limitation. In that case the ODROID-U2 ($89, 2GB RAM) might be the lowest cost ticket -http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G135341370451, or even the ODROID-U with 1GB -http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G135341359084

--
Frank Swygert
Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine