[Coco] [off-topic] cabling problems

Frank Swygert farna at amc-mag.com
Wed Apr 18 18:07:37 EDT 2012

The shielded under ground cable I bought has a foil liner, so the aluminum foil idea should work. The foil must be grounded to the cable though. Phone wire is generally twisted pair. That shields the phone signal, but I don't know if it does anything for other things near it.

I suppose you already have the cable installed from the sound of things. Next time test the cable before pulling! You might just have one wire out of place...

--------------
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 22:17:01 -0300
From: Paulo Lindoso<paulo.lindoso at gmail.com>

Hi List,

Checked out Frank's idea and hooked a small hub... Didn't work...

One thing I noticed though... when I plugged the cable, it seemed to me
that the indicator LED did lit up a bit... Could that be an indication of interference of sorts?

As I mentioned it is a 180-feet long cable, directly wired, linking my
wireless router (a standard WRT54G with dd-wrt installed) to my studio,
which is a small extension outside my house.

Inside the house, it actually shares its way with a telephone wire and my cable TV coax cable...  Now the coax cable is obviously shielded, so I would not imagine any interference from there, but the telephone line is generally UNshielded and powered at 48VDC plus the carrier signal...  Could that mess up the network signal?

I will try this weekend to insulate and/or separate its way and will post back... Let's see.

Has anybody ever tested the "urban legend" of insulating a cable with
aluminum foil?  Does it actually work?

Thanks a lot for all useful hints and comments so far!

--
Frank Swygert
Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine