[Coco] [off-topic] cabling problems

Paulo Lindoso paulo.lindoso at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 21:17:01 EDT 2012

Hi List,

Checked out Frank's idea and hooked a small hub... Didn't work...

One thing I noticed though... when I plugged the cable, it seemed to me
that the indicator LED did lit up a bit... Could that be an indication of
interference of sorts?

As I mentioned it is a 180-feet long cable, directly wired, linking my
wireless router (a standard WRT54G with dd-wrt installed) to my studio,
which is a small extension outside my house.

Inside the house, it actually shares its way with a telephone wire and my
cable TV coax cable...  Now the coax cable is obviously shielded, so I
would not imagine any interference from there, but the telephone line is
generally UNshielded and powered at 48VDC plus the carrier signal...  Could
that mess up the network signal?

I will try this weekend to insulate and/or separate its way and will post
back... Let's see.

Has anybody ever tested the "urban legend" of insulating a cable with
aluminum foil?  Does it actually work?

Thanks a lot for all useful hints and comments so far!

Cheers,
Paulo.