[Coco] Problems with Drivewire 4

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 23:48:23 EDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 10:56 PM, Paulo Lindoso <paulo.lindoso at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Update on my drivewire problems...
>
> I had an "old" Pentium 4, 3GHz, 512MB RAM with a standard RS232 port buried
> where I couldn't remember...  I set it up, got a basic Windows XP installed
> on it and ran Drivewire 4.
>
> It successfully detected my CoCo3 (so I guess my problem is with my
> USB-to-RS232 adapter after all), but now I can't read any DSK images...
>
> Enabling ALL logs in DW4 reads the following:
> Timed out reading from CoCo in OP_READEX
> OP_READEX took 531ms.  Server loaded on low on ram?

The key here is "Timed out reading from CoCo in OP_READEX".   The
"Server loaded or low on ram?" is a misleading message, that is not
the problem here at all.  The most common reason for an operation to
take too long is a problem in the software or on the server computer
like out of memory, but in your case the reason is simply that the
CoCo isn't responding when it should be.

Every DW transaction that goes on between coco and drivewire server
has a timeout of 200ms, if the expected response from either side
doesn't occur within that window, the operation is considered a
failure.  It is very unusual to see the CoCo fail to respond, I
suspect it may still be a communications problem rather than anything
really happening on the coco or the drivewire software.

Are you seeing any other errors in the logs at all?  If the coco was
responding, but too late, we'd see some messages about that.  OTOH if
any data bytes were being missed or corrupted we should see some tell
tales there too.

If you'd like, start up DW4, try to do a DIR or anything that causes
the error, and then use the help menu to submit a bug report with all
options checked.  That will send me a great deal of useful
information, happy to see if I can find anything more.

-Aaron