[Coco] linux and java libs and drivewire4 wasRe: My CoCo fully back up!

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Sun Oct 23 20:57:55 EDT 2011

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 08:20:15PM -0400, Aaron Wolfe wrote:

> To use DriveWire on Linux, you must install the RXTX serial libraries.
>  These are available via your package manager on all the major Linux
> distros, and in source form if your distro of choice doesn't have them
> for you.  Since the RXTX libs are usually part of a Linux distro, I
> thought it was best not to include them in the DW4 distribution
> (Windows and OSX libs come included in their respective packages,
> which is why they require no set up at all).

Yeah, those are the ones I'm missing.

> There are example commands for Debian, Ubuntu and Fedora provided in
> the documentation:
> https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/drivewireserver/index.php?title=Installation
> With any luck, you're only a single command away from making DW4 work fine.

<sigh>No one gives Slackware any respect anymore.  <grumble>maybe
because its missing half the libs needed to make a usuable box these days.

> If you have any error other than simply missing the RXTX libs, that
> would be a bug!

Naa, just missing the RXTX libs.  AFAIK anyway.

This isn't your fault, don't intent do throw mud on you.  I've been
using a linux box with an ancient distro on it for a dw3 server, and
its jre and everything else was too old for dw4, so I never payed any
attention to dw4.

But with my move, the CoCo is now next to a machine with a current-ish
install, so if I wade through the missing-lib effect Slackware seems
to have, I'll try dw4 again.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA