[Coco] linux and java libs and drivewire4 wasRe: My CoCo fully back up!

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 21:05:46 EDT 2011

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 8:57 PM, Willard Goosey <goosey at virgo.sdc.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 08:20:15PM -0400, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
>>
>> To use DriveWire on Linux, you must install the RXTX serial libraries.
>>  These are available via your package manager on all the major Linux
>> distros, and in source form if your distro of choice doesn't have them
>> for you.  Since the RXTX libs are usually part of a Linux distro, I
>> thought it was best not to include them in the DW4 distribution
>> (Windows and OSX libs come included in their respective packages,
>> which is why they require no set up at all).
>
> Yeah, those are the ones I'm missing.
>
>> There are example commands for Debian, Ubuntu and Fedora provided in
>> the documentation:
>> https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/drivewireserver/index.php?title=Installation
>> With any luck, you're only a single command away from making DW4 work fine.
>
> <sigh>No one gives Slackware any respect anymore.  <grumble>maybe
> because its missing half the libs needed to make a usuable box these days.

The Arduino project also uses the RXTX libraries, and they do have
instructions for Slackware (and a few more distros that I didn't
research specifically for DW4):

http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Learning/Linux

Obviously you don't need the whole Arduino development environment,
but perhaps those instructions can save you some time or provide hints
to pull out just the RXTX portion.