[Coco] Games that don't fit on floppies (was Super IDE vs. Drive Pak)

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Wed Nov 16 10:47:10 EST 2011

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 01:06:49PM +0000, Mark Marlette wrote:

> John Linville could speak to this more as his video player is based
> upon the critical bandwidth of the player on the S-IDE.

Actually, I think it is the CPU bandwidth that is the real bottleneck
for the video player.  Obviously it needs a mass storage device as
fast or faster than the CPU accesses to keep-up.

The coco3 video player would not exist without some fast way to get
data into the coco3.  Even pre-loading memory is not really an option,
although you might squeeze a few seconds of play time out of it.

As for the larger question in this thread, I think it is really a
judgment call.  If you were to produce something that amounted to a
fairly modern PC or some collection of AVR or ARM or whatever kind
of boards and it just happened to have a coco as a front-end to it,
your project would probably not be too interesting to me (at least not
as a coconut).  OTOH, if you add just enough modern technology to your
project to enable the coco to show it's stuff (e.g. by preprocessing
some data or providing more storage) then I don't see the problem.

John