[Coco] Games that don't fit on floppies (was Super IDE vs. Drive Pak)

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Nov 16 16:28:22 EST 2011

On Wednesday, November 16, 2011 04:17:19 PM John W. Linville did opine:

> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 01:06:49PM +0000, Mark Marlette wrote:
> > John Linville could speak to this more as his video player is based
> > upon the critical bandwidth of the player on the S-IDE.
>
> Actually, I think it is the CPU bandwidth that is the real bottleneck
> for the video player.  Obviously it needs a mass storage device as
> fast or faster than the CPU accesses to keep-up.

Which virtually any rotating mass storage can easily do.  The coco, with a
6309 in it, using the ldq,stq commands, takes 11 seconds to move a
megabyte.  Period.  The source or target makes at worst a minuscule
difference in the test results.

I have no clue, and don't recall the test results when these two SCSI
drives were installed in my Amiga, but considering the speed of the Zorro
bus is 7 MHz, and the interface is 8 bits wide, it is extremely obvious
that these disks are so much faster than the coco that disk speed in and of
itself is not a consideration and does not enter into the loading time of a
game.

> The coco3 video player would not exist without some fast way to get
> data into the coco3.  Even pre-loading memory is not really an option,
> although you might squeeze a few seconds of play time out of it.
>
> As for the larger question in this thread, I think it is really a
> judgment call.  If you were to produce something that amounted to a
> fairly modern PC or some collection of AVR or ARM or whatever kind
> of boards and it just happened to have a coco as a front-end to it,
> your project would probably not be too interesting to me (at least not
> as a coconut).  OTOH, if you add just enough modern technology to your
> project to enable the coco to show it's stuff (e.g. by preprocessing
> some data or providing more storage) then I don't see the problem.
>
> John

I'll generally agree with this John, however I think I might add one of the
cocoFPGA gizmo's as acceptable.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Stanford women are responsible for the success of many Stanford men:
they give them "just one more reason" to stay in and study every night.