[Coco] Games that don't fit on floppies (was Super IDE vs. Drive Pak)

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Nov 16 11:45:43 EST 2011

On Wednesday, November 16, 2011 11:16:35 AM Mark Marlette did opine:

> Gene,
>
> Just giving you a hard time....I am quite aware of MyRAM. :)
>
> I do a lot of builds in NOS9 and you can't just throw everything in. Had
> a recent build that for the first time in a long time, had to reduce,
> look at the bootlist and make just a good sweep of the system modules.
> In the end, it was a good exercise. Good to clean house now and then.
>
> The advantages to the 3.2.x is light years beyond the 1.16 days. Great,
> but we must move forward!
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark
> Cloud-9
> http://www.cloud9tech.com

Open can of worms, Mark.

I am not 100% convinced the forward is the direction NOS9 has moved. When
SCF things were split up, no provision was made for some of the code and
hardware I had been using for a decade or more.  For instance, my 13" amber
screen monitor was no longer usable as a second, independently useful
monitor, all that code I had managed to condense into cc3io was just
summarily swept aside.  Much the same for a 100% functional seriel mouse,
one where all 3 buttons could be used in Iconedt for instance.  Sure, I re-
wrote the joydrv_6551L.sb, so it now handles both M$ and Logitec mice
transparently so we only need one driver, with all the bits located in the
packet as the L51.defs says they go, but it is only partially usable with
multivue.  Lots of little used stuff just went away at some point so
silently I was not aware of them until stuff didn't work with what should
have been an equivalent bootfile.

There is one other tender point about booting from my TC^3 I have PM'd you
about at least once with no reply.  So I fixed it my way, by going back to
a quite old os9 distribution I still have on my hard drive here, getting
that boot_tc3 module, dissing it, and making it work similarly to what the
superdriver docs says it should, so I have been booting from my tc^3 for
about a year now when I want to.  Up till then, the only boot that ever
worked was the very stripped one you put on there when I sent it to you in
2002.  It had not enough in it to do more than give a shell prompt.

I had lots of fun impressing the winderz frogs when I showed them a
trash-80 color computer with 2 working monitors, that brought a big grin to
my face every time I showed it off, a coco could do things their 3 kilobuck
windows box couldn't do.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
I just forgot my whole philosophy of life!!!