[Coco] LIF util for OS-9?

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Nov 1 22:30:11 EDT 2011

On Tuesday, November 01, 2011 10:27:40 PM Willard Goosey did opine:

> Yesterday I spent over 4 hours reverse-engineering HP's old LIF
> filesystem.  Then I discovered a great reference about it on the
> web. ;-)
>
> Another example of "An hour in the library can save you a week in the
> laboratory."  http://www.hp9845.net/9845/projects/hpdir
>
> (In brief, LIF is a simple disk or random-block tape filesystem that
> lots of old HP hardware used before FAT took over the universe.)
>
> In my defense, I had fun, and the last time I wondered about this the
> web had NO pages giving the technical description of LIF.
>
> Anyway, as an industrial, real-time OS I find it hard to believe that
> there wasn't already an OS-9 program to read/write LIF disks, Although
> I'd be willing to accept that there was never a CoCo version.
>
> So, would anybody be interested in such a program, and be willing to
> help test it by feeding it disks from a wide variety of old HP gear?
>
> Willard

I think that's seriously kewl Willard.  Unforch I only have coco, os9, and
messydos disks here.  At 77, I guess I am too new at this computin game.
;-)

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in
God.