[Coco] New CoCo3FPGA version...

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Mon May 16 12:26:01 EDT 2011

I haven't seen it mentioned on this list yet, but Gary Becker announced
a new version of CoCo3FPGA over the weekend that includes new graphics
modes:  256-colors (essentially a fixed palette) at 1/2 horizontal
resolution (160 pixels wide), 12-bit (4096 color) palettes for the
regular CoCo 3 modes, and double vertical resolution (450 pixels high
instead of 225).  This is for the DE-1.  I've got a Spartan 3 board, so
I'll have to wait for the forthcoming Spartan version (and further
modify my board for 12-bit color).

Spatially, the 256x192/200/225 8-bit mode matches the 8-bit artifact
color mode, though the color palettes aren't likely to be the same.
Still, it means that a game employing 8-bit color could use the same
sized pictures and graphical elements and run on an unmodified CoCo 3
with a composite monitor or TV, and an FPGA CoCo 3 with a VGA monitor.
You would just have to map the images to two different palettes, and set
up the video modes a little differently.  But moving chunks of video
memory around would be just the same.  One byte = one pixel.  Timing
issues are still different between the CoCo 3's 6x09 and the FPGA's
CPU.  But if it wasn't an action game with critical timing constraints
-- say a graphical adventure game, or a sim-type game, or a puzzle game
-- that need not be an issue.

So.  Which of the DE-1 owners will be able to demo a picture viewer in
160x450x256 at the CoCoFest.

Allen, have your video camera ready!

JCE