[Coco] MESS needs a C++ programmer dedicated to the Coco

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Sun May 1 13:15:26 EDT 2011

On 1/05/2011 9:18 AM, Roger Taylor wrote:

> I can't complain about what all it does
> for free but when you start seeing performance decrease while PC's keep
> getting more memory and becoming much faster, I just don't get it. I
> think part of the problem is contributor burnout. What started out being
> a team of a few geeks became a large unorganized team of contributors.
> If everyone isn't on the same page at all times, things fall apart.

The reason you're seeing a performance 'degradation' is because
MAME/MESS is striving to become a more generic, powerful, cross-platform
emulation engine that encompasses all manner of arcade games, consoles
and retro micro computers; and at the same time providing an
architecture that (supposedly) simplifies the development of new
targets. And that comes with a price, as any software architect can tell
you. And let's not forget that the main charter of MAME/MESS is not
actually performance/usability of the emulation, but rather accuracy in
emulation and a 'documentation' of classic hardware.

To attribute the downfall to burn-out and disorgansation is a little
unfair, IHMO. The project now supports so many systems that it is
impossible to test/verify every target after major architectural changes
to the core. And let's face it - the Coco is barely a blip on the radar
when you have Apples, Commodores and NESes to consider.

Not sure if you're aware but there is a large effort underway by the
MAMEDEV team to merge the MESS code into the mainline project. IIUC, it
would be wise to put any grand plans of a Coco driver overhaul on hold
for a while until the merge is complete, or someone could perhaps see
their hard work obsoleted as soon as it's released.

Regards,

--
| <http://pacedev.net> |