[Coco] MESS needs a C++ programmer dedicated to the Coco

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun May 1 13:35:44 EDT 2011

On Sunday, May 01, 2011 01:26:01 PM Mark McDougall did opine:

> On 1/05/2011 9:18 AM, Roger Taylor wrote:
> > I can't complain about what all it does
> > for free but when you start seeing performance decrease while PC's
> > keep getting more memory and becoming much faster, I just don't get
> > it. I think part of the problem is contributor burnout. What started
> > out being a team of a few geeks became a large unorganized team of
> > contributors. If everyone isn't on the same page at all times, things
> > fall apart.
>
> The reason you're seeing a performance 'degradation' is because
> MAME/MESS is striving to become a more generic, powerful, cross-platform
> emulation engine that encompasses all manner of arcade games, consoles
> and retro micro computers; and at the same time providing an
> architecture that (supposedly) simplifies the development of new
> targets. And that comes with a price, as any software architect can tell
> you. And let's not forget that the main charter of MAME/MESS is not
> actually performance/usability of the emulation, but rather accuracy in
> emulation and a 'documentation' of classic hardware.
>
> To attribute the downfall to burn-out and disorgansation is a little
> unfair, IHMO. The project now supports so many systems that it is
> impossible to test/verify every target after major architectural changes
> to the core. And let's face it - the Coco is barely a blip on the radar
> when you have Apples, Commodores and NESes to consider.
>
> Not sure if you're aware but there is a large effort underway by the
> MAMEDEV team to merge the MESS code into the mainline project. IIUC, it
> would be wise to put any grand plans of a Coco driver overhaul on hold
> for a while until the merge is complete, or someone could perhaps see
> their hard work obsoleted as soon as it's released.
>
> Regards,

I disagree with this advice totally, Mark.

While I have never had occasion to need or use MESS, and don't have a copy
laying around since my real coco's are alive and well, asking the coco
folks to just roll over and play dead until such time as the MESS folks
decide they haven't heard from us in yonks, so why should they care at this
late date, is a bit over the top presumptuous I think.

We DID make a significant contribution to the gaming scene at one time, and
I for one, do not appreciate the coco being arbitrarily thrown under the
bus by one of the emulators.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)