[Coco] MESS needs a C++ programmer dedicated to the Coco

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sun May 1 12:18:16 EDT 2011

At 08:57 AM 5/1/2011, you wrote:
>As you users of MESS know, changes come so fast that our portion of
>the emulation gets lost in the dust. There apparently no longer is
>anyone on the MESS team that spends any significant time on Coco
>emulation unless there is a major crash. As a result, the most
>recent versions of MESS don't work as well as older ones.
>Unfortunately, older versions are missing some of the corrections
>found in more recent versions.
>
>As Tveo's recent message demonstrates there are Coco enthusiasts who
>can handle the MESS source code. I, for one, can't so am unable to
>make some of the changes/corrections currently needed.
>For example, if you mount a custom disk ROM in the cart slot, it
>prevents disk I/O or the smartwatch functions from working. The fdc
>index bit reporting for type I and IV commands no longer works. MESS
>no longer permits ignoring ROMs with crc's that don't match the
>standards built into the driver code. We need support for acceptance
>of new entries in the hash files .hsi or .xml so that custom disk
>ROMs or even game paks no on these lists can be used.
>
>Any takers? There is a MESS BBS at
>http://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=1

Although I use the emulator a lot in my IDEs, I use VCC more for
casual use because it's just makes more sense to launch a more
compact and friendly emulator.

After trying to keep up with their updates for probably 8 to 10 years
now, I'm convinced that the M.E.S.S. team couldn't have picked a more
accurate name for the system.  I can't complain about what all it
does for free but when you start seeing performance decrease while
PC's keep getting more memory and becoming much faster, I just don't
get it.  I think part of the problem is contributor burnout.  What
started out being a team of a few geeks became a large unorganized
team of contributors.  If everyone isn't on the same page at all
times, things fall apart.

At some point you have to ask yourself, why use M.E.S.S. on a casual
basis when VCC is a much more pleasant experience.

Speaking of VCC... it needs command line arguments so we can launch
it from an IDE with virtual disks or ROMs mounted.

--
~ Roger Taylor