[Coco] MESS needs a C++ programmer dedicated to the Coco

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Sun May 1 09:57:14 EDT 2011

As you users of MESS know, changes come so fast that our portion of the
emulation gets lost in the dust. There apparently no longer is anyone on the
MESS team that spends any significant time on Coco emulation unless there is a
major crash. As a result, the most recent versions of MESS don't work as well as
older ones. Unfortunately, older versions are missing some of the corrections
found in more recent versions.

As Tveo's recent message demonstrates there are Coco enthusiasts who can handle
the MESS source code. I, for one, can't so am unable to make some of the
changes/corrections currently needed.
For example, if you mount a custom disk ROM in the cart slot, it prevents disk
I/O or the smartwatch functions from working. The fdc index bit reporting for
type I and IV commands no longer works. MESS no longer permits ignoring ROMs
with crc's that don't match the standards built into the driver code. We need
support for acceptance of new entries in the hash files .hsi or .xml so that
custom disk ROMs or even game paks no on these lists can be used.

Any takers? There is a MESS BBS at
http://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=1