[Coco] CoCo Video Player

Steve Batson steve at batsonphotography.com
Fri Mar 18 11:47:47 EDT 2011

Adding my 2 cents...I'm actually kinda of surprised to see this type of
debate on this list....Yes hardware and software depend on each other, both
are required to make everything work. I have to disagree that Software is
more powerful than hardware since the hardware is ultimately what makes it
all happen in the end. Yes the software directs actions and does all sorts
of calculations and such, but that is all because the hardware is busy
working on what the software tells it to do.

I would submit that any task you might have software do, could be faster,
more efficient and more robust if implemented completely in hardware. I'm
not saying that everything should be, or is feasible to do in hardware, I'm
just trying to make a point. As someone already said, you can't make
software do more than hardware is capable off. The main thing that software
has over hardware, is that you have the flexibility to change things
anytime, including on the fly. We wouldn't have computers as we do today if
it wasn't for software of course.

And just because you might be able to use software to force the hardware to
do something that maybe it wasn't necessarily designed for, doesn't make it
more powerful than hardware. The hardware is a wall for the software. Once
you have written the tightest, most efficient machine code that can be
written, you hit a brick wall. You then need that next more powerful,
faster hardware to go further.

Bottom line, use the right tools for the job. With computers, it's Hardware
and Software. Regardless of what you are trying to do, using the best of
both will get the best results.