[Coco] CoCo Video Player

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Fri Mar 18 11:05:46 EDT 2011

At 12:33 PM 3/17/2011, you wrote:
>I have to agre with Mark on this one.
>
> > Being a hardware guy, the hardware sets the pace for the software. Software
> > can be good or bad but if the hardware does not support the cool features
> >  which the software is pushing, then NONE of it would be possible. Another
> > way to look at it is that the software can only make the hardware
> goes as fast
> > as it was designed in a optimized environment. If it was up to
> the software,
> > the CoCo would be running at 100GHZ today...... :)
>
>You can do a lot in software but the hardware provides the means.
>
>For example, the video project is quite amazing what it is doing on
>the hardware the CoCo provides but as Steve implies, it's not
>something I would want to watch a movie from.
>
>Now, if there was some hardware acceleration inluded by an add-on,
>such as a harware decoder or a 256 color mode... then software can
>be written to take advantage of the new capabilties and improved
>video output could be achieved.
>
>As I said, impressive software, but you can only do so much in software.
>
>Nick

Like I said, this kind of debate is one of those 50/50's.  True,
hardware and software depend on each other.  Hardware biased guys
will claim the hardware is more powerful and responsible for the
whole accomplishment.  Software guys will claim that without their
masterpiece you would have nothing at all.  My theory is that because
software can "think" and change without limits, it is the more
powerful of the two.

--
~ Roger Taylor