[Coco] because we can not do the same

Nick Marentes nickma at optusnet.com.au
Mon Jun 20 04:03:09 EDT 2011

When I first saw the site, I was intrigued. But when I realized that
it's just a Netbook PC (ion based motherboard), I then saw that the real
wow was just how they replicated the plastic case and keyboard.

 From there on, it's just a PC running Linux (and Win7?) with a
downgrader program (C64 emulator). Kudos to the guys behind it for
making it such a commercial venture. There isn't anything like it or
anywhere near it in the CoCo community.

For me, I can do that on my existing PC with a free C64 emulator. Once
you get over the novelty, it really is working in the reverse of
progress by taking a more powerful computer and dumbing it down. I think
anyone buying such a system will end up using it mainly as a PC with a
novelty case.

Like my PC that I currently use, it's a full PC in a Amiga 2000 case
(Modded it myself). Run an Emulator and it looks like an Amiga... but I
rarely do. I have a real Amiga sitting right next to it.

I still believe in *real hardware*. The FPGA CoCo3 holds more interest
to me because it's taking something and building it up from there,
eventually with added CoCo4 functionality.

This is a far greater achievement in my mind.

Nick