[Coco] [Color Computer] c64 taking making a comback!?

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 13:29:30 EDT 2011

I wouldn't believe the CPU rate that VCC reports in it's user
interface, if I recall it does let you set it quite high but if you
run actual tests in the emulation it does not deliver nearly the rate
shown in the setting.  Not sure if you're saying you tested
performance and it delivered the equivalent of 50Mhz or if you mean it
let you change a setting to say 50Mhz.

I speed tested VCC, MESS and FPGA a while back, don't remember the
exact results, but at least with my computer the emulators weren't
doing significantly better or worse than the DE1 board's FPGA.
Considering the relative costs, FPGA seems to offer a lot more bang
for the buck in something designed to be a dedicated CoCo.  Should
anyone decide to manufacture a coco look alike in the style of the C64
thing, I'd think FPGA would be a better route to go than using an
emulator.