[Coco] [Color Computer] c64 taking making a comback!?

Steve Bjork 6809er at srbsoftware.com
Thu Jun 9 14:05:53 EDT 2011

On 6/9/2011 10:29 AM, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> I wouldn't believe the CPU rate that VCC reports in it's user
> interface, if I recall it does let you set it quite high but if you
> run actual tests in the emulation it does not deliver nearly the rate
> shown in the setting.  Not sure if you're saying you tested
> performance and it delivered the equivalent of 50Mhz or if you mean it
> let you change a setting to say 50Mhz.
No, I'm not basing it on the speed setting (goes to 89 MHz), but on how
fast it was running a bit assembly code that I wrote.
> I speed tested VCC, MESS and FPGA a while back, don't remember the
> exact results, but at least with my computer the emulators weren't
> doing significantly better or worse than the DE1 board's FPGA.
> Considering the relative costs, FPGA seems to offer a lot more bang
> for the buck in something designed to be a dedicated CoCo.  Should
> anyone decide to manufacture a coco look alike in the style of the C64
> thing, I'd think FPGA would be a better route to go than using an
> emulator.

The FPGACoCo project's current state (using a development board) works
for few CoCo user with the right hardware background.  (I'm one of
those.)  But most will have to wait for a complete dedicated board,
baring the cost of making a board for a very limited CoCo market.

Don't forget, a CoCo emulator could have access to all the old CoCo
hardware via an CoCo I/O board connected to the PC.  The Floppy Disk
Controller board is an offspring from the work done on CoCo I/O board
for the CoCo4 project.

Steve