[Coco] Toolshed help

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Wed Jun 8 10:22:33 EDT 2011

Mike Rowen wrote:
> Using "os9 format -t40 -ds -e 40ds.dsk" creates the correct sized disk. I
> was not specifying the double sided option. So this creates a disk that is
> equivalent in size and format to my floppy. When I specify a filename in DW3
> to create a new disk, the 0 size file is created. When I format this disk
> with "format /x1", it creates a 4MB image (18,432 sectors, 1024 cylinders).
>
> I tried doing a backup from /d0 to /x1 using the image I created with the
> os9 command. About 3/4 of the way through it starts to generate #247 errors
> when it hits sector $05A0 and above. I have no trouble backing up /d0 to /d1
> though.
>
> -Mike

That is exactly what should happen. Toolshed os9 requires the -e parameter to
get a full disk. Getting a 4MB disk with 'format /x1' is also exactly what
should happen. I told you that you must specify what sized disk you wanted but
could not tell you how, because you originally had not stated the size of /d0.

While running NitrOS-9 via Drivewire with a 0-byte disk mounted in /x1 and
requiring a 40-track single sided disk, you have two options. You can use dmode
to alter the specs of /x1 or you can add parameters to the format command.

format /x1 1 '40'
Gives you a single sided 40-track disk but leaves the default values of /x1
untouched.

dmode /x1 cyl=28 sid=1 typ=20
Changes /x1 to mimic a single sided, 40-track floppy and you will not require
parameters with the format command. This change will revert on the next Boot
unless you cobbler the boot disk.