[Coco] NitrOS-9 Differences.

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Jun 2 22:38:20 EDT 2011

On Thursday, June 02, 2011 10:22:21 PM Stephen H. Fischer did opine:

> Hi,
>
> Gene: Here is the reason the ShellPlus command "t" is so useful.
>
> I think now that my memory is faulty and that the current shell state is
> not passed to the forked one.

I don't believe it ever was.  Understand that tmode works only on the shell
that executes it. xmode OTOH, effects every window or device, according to
the descriptor which is modified by xmode.

For instance, assume you want the pause set for /w4, then from any shell
"xmode /w4 pau=1" will set that particular descriptor to be a pausing
window, with the pause every pag(its a hex byte) lines.  However, it does
not effect a window currently in use, launched using the /w4 descriptor,
because that shell already is using the values that were in the descriptor
at the time the window is launched.  Therefore, to make use of the new
settings for /w4, the shell must be killed and the window closed.  A new
shell can then be started on /w4, and the option will then be in effect.

> BUT THEN, read the description of "PATH=", that clearly says it is
> passed. So why not the rest?

PATH= is the path to a file, and has no connection that I know of to either
of the 3 already in effect shell paths for stdin, stdout, and stderr.

> OS9:dir -e
>  Directory of .  2011/06/02 16:49  Owner  Last modified   Attributes
> Sector Bytecount Name
> ----- ---------------- ---------- ------ --------- ----
>    0  2011/05/30 21:53  ----r-wr     474       1A7 makefile.tk
>    0  2011/05/30 12:13  ----r-wr    180B        73 make.s
>    0  2011/05/29 20:25  ----r-wr    1165        82 compile.s
>    0  2011/05/28 20:24  ----r-wr    180D      2FDC archive.p2.c
>    0  2011/05/28 20:24  ----r-wr    180E       88C archive.p3.c
>    0  2011/05/28 20:24  ----r-wr    180F       3B5 archive.p4.c
>    0  2011/05/28 20:26  ----r-wr    1810       225 hires.h
>    0  2011/05/29 14:32  ----r-wr    181E        70 link.s
>    0  2011/05/30 12:03  ----r-wr    1149       195 makefile
>    0  2011/05/29 20:25  ----r-wr    1811        7F compile.s.bak
>    0  2011/05/30 12:35  ----r-wr    1818      15B5 archive.p2.r
>    0  2011/05/30 12:36  ----r-wr    1819       47F archive.p3.r
>    0  2011/05/30 12:36  ----r-wr    181A       24B archive.p4.r
>    0  2011/05/30 12:17  ----r-wr    181B       AEE archive.h.bak
>    0  2011/05/30 12:43  ----r-wr    1814      1835 archive.p1.r
>    0  2011/05/28 16:17  ----r-wr    1194       1A7 makefile.bak
>    0  2011/05/30 12:42  ----r-wr    1801      2037 archive.p1.c
>    0  2011/05/30 07:17  ----r-wr    1145       1A6 archive.makefile.bak
>    0  2011/05/30 12:23  ----r-wr    180C      2000 archive.p1.c.bak
>    0  2011/05/30 07:17  ----r-wr    1146       1A1 archive.makefile
>    0  2011/05/30 12:17  ----r-wr    181C       AEE archive.h
>
> OS9::VDIR *.c
> VDIR archive.p2.c archive.p3.c archive.p4.c archive.p1.c
>
> OS9:var.?
>
> The results of this command is in the attachment, I cannot find a way to
> direct it to a file or "/p". BUG BUG!!

It might be possible to redirect .1 to a file out to /p, but I suspect that
would confuse the shell too.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)