[Coco] CoCo3FPGA, FPGA Development, and GIME replacement

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 19:33:05 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 7:13 PM, Nick Marentes <nickma at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>> Maybe in a few years we can have a cheap coco 4 that does everything
>> everyone wants (well..that will never happen, but let's say 100% of what
>> 95% want, or vice versa).
>
> This may be the problem. Maybe a standard spec needs to be defined of what a
> CoCo4 actually is?

It's a trap! :)

This has been discussed before, and it's clear that there is no
universal agreement on what a "CoCo 4" is, should or could be.

There are many theoretical approaches that could be taken, yet the
only actual progress seems to be in the FPGA realm, and here we have a
single project.
So, for now I think the "spec" is whatever Gary's FPGA project
provides, until some alternative exists.  Gary has always been very
receptive to suggestions.

> Someone who only plays games on the CoCo will have different wants from
> someone who only runs OS-9.
>
> I would have thought with the advancements in FPGA's nowadays, simulating
> the operations of a 25 year old custom chip should be possible.

I'm sure it's possible, after all Gary has an enhanced GIME in FPGA as
part of his project.  I think the obstacle is a matter of the cost and
the effort in creating the interface between FPGA and GIME socket.