[Coco] old backups, RESTORED!

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Jan 8 13:29:19 EST 2011

On Saturday, January 08, 2011 01:05:57 pm Lothan did opine:

I cut my coding first teeth on the RCA 1802 making a video production tool
for KRCR in Redding CA that saved them a dubbing generation loss and
probably 100k in manpower costs over the next 15 yars they used it that I
know of, then made a automatic transmitter control project at KSUE AM/FM
with the z-80 before a session with the TI99/4a but it priced me out of the
showroom, but the 6809 was the first cpu that was not drain bamaged by its
transistor count. However, I still have fond memories of the RCA 1802
family, an odd architecture to be sure, but about as universal as they
came.  It has 16 each 16 bit wide registers, any one of which could become
the program counter in a 1 byte command, built in DMA which made handling
video dead simple if the video was. I/O port mapping was separate from main
memory and expandable to 127 devices.  This thing was faintly similar to
the TI-9900 except the 9900 didn't have all those internal registers, it
used all indirect addressing from a register image maintained in local ram.
But I never got my head around it well enough to write anything of note for
it.  Typical packrat, I still have that TI99/4a and its extended basic
cartridge.  Maybe even the cassette recorder, but those tended to be
destroyed by my kids in those days.

If the 6x09 had ever grown a built in DMA capability, I suspect its
lifetime on the shelves would have been extended at least another half a
decade.  As it is, its abilities have carved itself a place in all our
hearts that would do serious damage to our education if it were to have
never happened.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)