[Coco] old backups, RESTORED!

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 22:44:22 EST 2011

On Fri, 7 Jan 2011, Willard Goosey wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 07:20:29AM -0500, Steven Hirsch wrote:
>> Both of these devices are serious approaches to data archiving and are
>> vastly more reliable than rotary-head data storage (DAT and 8mm).  In my
>> opinion, reliance on a rotary-head drive is a poor bet.  I've had nothing
>> but problems with them - 8mm in particular.
>
> Heh, no, I've never cared for rotary-head tape either.  First thing it
> does is tie the tape in a knot, then it expects to read/write it
> reliably?  Not.

Rotary heads were a great idea for video storage.  Perhaps not so great
for data.

>>> xsurf is the tool.
>>
>> I'll check it out.  Thanks!
>
> Go through softhut.com.  My Xsurf3 works great!  Not only is it an
> ethernet card, but it also has IDE and 2 clockports (whatever exactly
> those are?) I've come across some limitations in smb-handler but those
> might just be my poor little A2000 running out of RAM.  AmiTCP works
> great!

I just hit myself with the clue stick...  I _have_ an Xsurf ethernet card
in my A2000.  Didn't register when I first read your note (not enough
morning coffee yet, I guess).  AmiTCP is installed.  Never figured out how
to get SMB going, though.

> OBCoCo:  I described Drivewire 4 to my ISP's sysadmin as a
> point-to-point network (over serial) supporting block and character
> devices, including the ability to telnet into the CoCo, since OS-9 has
> been multi-user and multi-tasking since '79 or so.  I think his jaw is
> *still* on the floor! :-)

One of my co-workers related a saying from the early 80s to the effect
that "..a PC is a real computer with a toy operating system, while the
CoCo is a toy computer with a real operating system".  A bit of hyperbole,
but made me chuckle.

Steve