[Coco] old backups, RESTORED!

Lothan lothan at newsguy.com
Sat Jan 8 12:35:23 EST 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: gene heskett
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2011 5:41 PM
To: coco at maltedmedia.com
Subject: Re: [Coco] old backups, RESTORED!

On Friday, January 07, 2011 05:38:35 pm Willard Goosey did opine:

>> OBCoCo:  I described Drivewire 4 to my ISP's sysadmin as a
>> point-to-point network (over serial) supporting block and character
>> devices, including the ability to telnet into the CoCo, since OS-9 has
>> been multi-user and multi-tasking since '79 or so.  I think his jaw is
>> *still* on the floor! :-)
>>
>> Willard
>
>Be careful & don't step on it or kick it.  I've used the 1984 time frame
>for that and been called a liar by many.  It was 85 when I discovered os9,
>and I was off the the races.

It was OS-9 that actually sold the CoCo in my case. I had been in the Radio
Shack/Tandy Computer Center here several times and I just wasn't impressed
with the "mainstream" TRS-80 line (Model I/II/whatever else was on display).
My problem was that I had champagne taste with not much of a beer budget,
meaning I wanted something like UNIX but knew darn well I would never be
able to afford UNIX hardware. When I finally scraped the money together I
decided to stop by the Computer Center one more time to see if they had
anything new before heading over to a competitor to buy a computer. When I
walked in the door, the salesman pulled a box off the shelf and asked if I
might be interested in something like this. After browsing the manual for a
few minutes, I walked out the door with a Color Computer F-board computer,
disk drives, OS-9 Level 1, and (if I remember correctly) the C compiler.

Of course, the 6809 microprocessor really helped seal the deal as well. I
had some experience with assembly language programming on the 6502, Z80, and
6800 and didn't like the 6502 or Z80 that much.