[Coco] using .bas files with disk images

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Thu Dec 29 23:02:13 EST 2011

Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a bit lost on what the proper procedure for getting .bas files
> like the ones here:
>
> http://www.lcurtisboyle.com/nitros9/chawkfootball.html
>
> or
>
> http://www.lcurtisboyle.com/nitros9/chopperrescue.html
>
> into a disk image that can be used with mess, vcc, drivewire etc.
><snip>
> What am I missing?
> Thanks
> -Aaron

You aren't missing anything Aaron. :) The files clearly are corrupted.

The best results with wimgtool are when the file is Inserted as
Mode: Raw
File type: Basic
Ascii flag: Binary

The C-Hawk Football won't list or run. You can get most of the file by listing
it in segments, skipping over bad line numbers, ex.
LIST
LIST6-
LIST37-
LIST102-
LIST234-
etc.

It looks to me that there might be a loader file which must be run first or the
tokens are not correct for a Coco. It seems to use both cassette and disk
commands with line 1 being
1 CONT CLOAD
which is just not right.

There is always the chance it is a tape-only program which might account for the
wrong tokens but I'm not sure what format it is in. It is certainly not a wav file.