[Coco] using .bas files with disk images

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 23:14:07 EST 2011

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 11:02 PM, Robert Gault <robert.gault at att.net> wrote:
> Aaron Wolfe wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm a bit lost on what the proper procedure for getting .bas files
>> like the ones here:
>>
>> http://www.lcurtisboyle.com/nitros9/chawkfootball.html
>>
>> or
>>
>> http://www.lcurtisboyle.com/nitros9/chopperrescue.html
>>
>> into a disk image that can be used with mess, vcc, drivewire etc.
>> <snip>
>>
>> What am I missing?
>> Thanks
>> -Aaron
>>

> You aren't missing anything Aaron. :) The files clearly are corrupted.
>
> The best results with wimgtool are when the file is Inserted as
> Mode: Raw
> File type: Basic
> Ascii flag: Binary
>
> The C-Hawk Football won't list or run. You can get most of the file by
> listing it in segments, skipping over bad line numbers, ex.
> LIST
> LIST6-
> LIST37-
> LIST102-
> LIST234-
> etc.
>
> It looks to me that there might be a loader file which must be run first or
> the tokens are not correct for a Coco. It seems to use both cassette and
> disk commands with line 1 being
> 1 CONT CLOAD
> which is just not right.
>
> There is always the chance it is a tape-only program which might account for
> the wrong tokens but I'm not sure what format it is in. It is certainly not
> a wav file.

Thanks for taking a look.  I've found that .bas files from some other
sites do work fine with the settings you recommend.

Opening the .bas files from mr. boyle's site with a hex editor reveals
lots of intact strings that look very normal, and mostly reasonable
structure for where tokens, constants and strings would be at first
glance, so they are not wav or anything too much different from
"normal".
I think it is that the tokens are just the wrong values somehow, at
least that seems like what I'm seeing.   Some of the other files have
lines that will list and appear normal in structure, just with the
entirely wrong keywords/tokens... things like 10 CLOAD(123,456) or 20
LINE "Hello".. etc..  somehow tokens have gone wild.