[Coco] COCO FPGA

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Sat Dec 24 15:41:55 EST 2011

On 12/24/2011 02:17 PM, Mark McDougall wrote:
> On 24/12/2011 7:33 PM, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 3:17 AM, Mark
>> McDougall<msmcdoug at iinet.net.au>  wrote:
>>
>> On the CoCo3FPGA, DriveWire *does* work with software that accesses
>> the hardware directly, because the CoCo doesn't know it's using
>> DriveWire.  The stock DECB rom is running and talking to what it
>> believes is a stock FDC.
>
> Oh, I stand corrected then. I'm getting confused then, maybe with the
> DW ROM in Coco3FPGA? I know there's some incompatability there,
> somewhere?!?

If you're using a DW ROM on a 'real' CoCo then programs that hit the
hardware will miss the DriveWire.  But Gary implemented the DriveWire
protocol in Verilog (Or is it VHDL?  I know that the CPU09 is in one and
the rest of the system is in the other, but don't remember which is
which) on CoCo3FPGA, and it emulates the FDC registers.

JCE