[Coco] COCO FPGA

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 15:31:56 EST 2011

On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 3:17 PM, Mark McDougall <msmcdoug at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On 24/12/2011 7:33 PM, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 3:17 AM, Mark McDougall<msmcdoug at iinet.net.au>
>>  wrote:
>>
>> On the CoCo3FPGA, DriveWire *does* work with software that accesses
>> the hardware directly, because the CoCo doesn't know it's using
>> DriveWire.  The stock DECB rom is running and talking to what it
>> believes is a stock FDC.
>

> Oh, I stand corrected then. I'm getting confused then, maybe with the DW ROM
> in Coco3FPGA? I know there's some incompatability there, somewhere?!?

No DW ROM in CoCo3FPGA.. you use stock CoCo roms.

>> Funny enough, any storage option that did use the SD card would
>> probably not be so compatible, just as any of the hard drive/flash
>> storage options available to a real coco are not so compatible.
>

> The idea behind SD is to hang it off the back end of a WD17XX emulation, so
> it would be 100% compatible. Otherwise, yes, IDE isn't exactly stock either,
> but given the long-ago availability of those options (like SuperIDE) I
> personally consider it 'real'. Feel free to differ in opinion though.

This is exactly what CoCo3FPGA does with DriveWire now.   It sounds
like Gary will do that somehow to the SD card as well.  I incorrectly
assumed he would implement it in the fashion of all the actual hard
drive controllers available on the CoCo, which all have exactly the
same incompatibility issues on a real CoCo that you ascribe to
DriveWire :)

Some people just don't like hooking up to a PC.  I get that.  But
given that DriveWire on the FPGA is actually *more* compatible with
software than it is on a real coco, and even on a real coco is it
exactly as compatible as any other storage controller except the stock
FDD...  i really don't see the compatibility issue being very
applicable.