[Coco] Probably a Redundant Question

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Dec 17 11:58:59 EST 2011

On Saturday, December 17, 2011 11:55:08 AM John Orwen did opine:

> Diego
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> My concern is: How much longer is this Coco hardware manufactured in the
> early 80's to the early 90's going to last.
> Long term electrical stress ( 20 to 30 years ) and the temperature
> induced deterioration of components that age.
> Particularly electrolytic capacitors.
>
> The circuit board in the coco3 I currently have is foreign made.  The
> two electrolytic capacitors next to Q1 have started leaking electrolyte
> onto the circuit board.  The computer still works but how much longer.

Depends on the heat.  Mine has had the psu stripped out for many years, and
a 6309 cpu.  The heat rise in continuous operation is perhaps 2F, right
over the 2 meg disto kit.

> I know this may be an easy fix for many of the coco hardware gurus but I
> am sure that many of the coco users out there are in their mid 50's to
> mid 60's and may not possess the physical and visual ability to make
> such repairs.

At 77, and diabetic, that is not yet a problem for me. :)  OTOH, I've been
doing such for about 65 years too.