[Coco] Probably a Redundant Question

John Orwen jorwen at neb.rr.com
Sat Dec 17 11:47:04 EST 2011

Diego
Thank you for your reply.

My concern is: How much longer is this Coco hardware manufactured in the
early 80's to the early 90's going to last.
Long term electrical stress ( 20 to 30 years ) and the temperature
induced deterioration of components that age.
Particularly electrolytic capacitors.

The circuit board in the coco3 I currently have is foreign made.  The
two electrolytic capacitors next to Q1 have started leaking electrolyte
onto the circuit board.  The computer still works but how much longer.

I know this may be an easy fix for many of the coco hardware gurus but I
am sure that many of the coco users out there are in their mid 50's to
mid 60's and may not possess the physical and visual ability to make
such repairs.

I have recently starting using Drivewire4 on my PC and the HDB DOS with
DW3 in the disk controller on the coco.
If the coco dies this will not be able to be used.

I see a lot of the current still operating cocos out there dieing in the
near term future.

The FPGA may indeed be the route to take but not everyone has the
ability to get the current complexity of it going easily.  If someone
posses the skill and resources to make it available in a plug and play
package it would definitely  be something I would be interested in.