[Coco] Bug in Umuse3-9.111 maybe earlier

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Dec 16 12:20:40 EST 2011

On Friday, December 16, 2011 12:05:34 PM Bill Pierce did opine:

> I assume you're talking about outputting an actual .mid file from umuse
> and not "playing" it.
Yes

> Then transferring it to linux to play in a linux
> player?
Yes

> If this is the case, Mike only implements a very small portion
> of the midi spec in his .mid output. So there maybe some problems when
> exporting to other software, but most things can be fixed.

As Aaron said, its obvious I had the midi clocks enabled in the export
options window.  That did not effect the playing when the file was sent
directly to the hardware synth on my Audigy2 card, but it certainly seems
to confuse rosegarden.

> As for changing things to GM, as long as you know the original song's
> instruments, the change is easy unless it's some off the wall, unusual
> sound. I have attached a list of the GM instruments. You can also do
> this in umuse itself in the instrument list.

This is unk to me as that particular song is not one I personally moused
in.  Throw in that none of my keyboards are GM, and confusion reigns
supreme, 20 years later.  But with the aid of this list (thanks), I may be
able to do more 'repairs' in umuse before writing the .mid file.  However,
in rosegarden, I can play one track at a time, and assign instruments in
real time, so such as the electric bass are easily deduced.  The thing I'm
rather disappointed in is that rosegarden does not draw the music as sheet,
but just a marked up timeline.  Its an option to overlay a sheet music
drawing, but it is not refreshed in real time.  So while the cpu horsepower
to do so is available, rosegarden doesn't really take advantage of it.

Thanks Bill.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Television has proved that people will look at anything rather than each
other.
		-- Ann Landers