[Coco] further adventures with plug'n'power/x10

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 21:09:32 EDT 2010

On Thursday, September 23, 2010 09:04:18 pm Sean did opine:

> I had to stop using X10 modules for my living room lights when I
> switched to CFL bulbs.  I noticed that even with them off, in a dark
> room you notice them flickering on and off.  No idea whether it's bad
> for the bulb or not, but it was enough to be annoying.   This was with
> on/off appliance modules, not the light modules with several dimming
> levels.

Get an incandescent night light, the sort that has 2 s4 lamps in it and
plug it in so its on the switched circuit the CFL's are on.  It will absorb
the leakage from the module and stop the flicker.  With two S4's in series,
then run dim when on, and will fail from an earthquake or lightning strike
long before they normally burn out since and incandescent lamps life is the
inverse of the 13th power of the applied voltage.  A 120 volt S4, running
on 60 volts, should last several centuries.