[Coco] further adventures with plug'n'power/x10

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Sep 23 21:03:21 EDT 2010

On Thursday, September 23, 2010 08:48:33 pm Stephen Castello did opine:

> On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 03:29:58 -0400, Aaron Wolfe <aawolfe at gmail.com>
>
> had a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:
> >The x10 outlets I ordered finally showed up, so I tried some things
> >with the CoCo today.
>
> A UPS in the same outlet can block the X10 signal.  The filtering in a
> APC UPS does this.
>
> A power strip with filtering can block the signal.
>
> If the module is on one leg and the control signal is on the other,
> the signal may not get there unless something is using 220v. Turn on
> the stove/oven/dryer to test for this.  www.smarthome.com has several
> gadgets that fixes this.
>
> Do they work with a standard x10 controller like:
> http://www.smarthome.com/4030A/X10-Mini-Controller-X10-X-10-Remote-Contr
> ol-Keypad-MC10A/p.aspx

I might also add that the switching power supplies in a modern computer can
make enough line noise to make an x10 circuit plugged into the same outlet
a bit flaky.  I have my cm11a plugged directly into an outlet that is
several feet of feed line away from the outlet the UPS that runs nearly
everything in this room is plugged into, and that is quite dependable
because the UPS isolates all that noise from the house wiring.  Another
excuse to get a _good_ UPS too. ;-)

Another item that might come into play is that any CCFL lighting you are
switching, if not loaded with a parallel resistive load, the CCFL's will
sit and flicker (very hard on them BTW) when they are supposed to be off.
Because those also need a fully symetrical waveform, they cannot be dimmed
by a lamp dimmer module, only turned on and off & its better to switch them
with an appliance module, which is a hard relay switch.  But to stop the
flicker, a night light with two s4 lamps in series will burn about 2.4 watts
when on, and by loading the line going to the CCFL's will stop the CCFL
flickering by absorbing the leakage load the modules need for good function,
and the CCFL's stay off when off.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)