[Coco] Software offer and Drive Pak solution

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 21:20:02 EDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 9:01 PM, Mark McDougall <msmcdoug at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On 17/09/2010 10:15 AM, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
>
>> The Eclipse IDE is open, cross platform and designed to be extended in
>> just about every way.  I don't know how far you've gone with the Phoenix
>> project, but have you considered making a module for Eclipse rather than
>> a whole new IDE?  There could be many benefits, including less work for
>> you.
>
> I suggested this a few days ago and was met with a resounding silence.
>
> To me, perhaps in my ignorance, it sounds like Roger is simply re-writing a
> cut-down version of Eclipse. I suspect it's more to do with him not being
> familiar with Eclipse, rather than it not being capable of doing what
> Phoenix can do. Eclipse was written specifically for this task, and there's
> no shortage of professional development tools, all with compilers, editors
> and debuggers, that are based on it.
>
> Having said that, I'm forced to use Eclipse on a daily basis at the moment
> and hate it with a passion. To be fair, that may be primarily the fault of
> the integrated tools I'm using it with, but I find it slow, bloated,
> confusing and ambiguous to configure, and buggy as hell. But that could just
> be the tool-chain crashing?!?

Sorry, I didn't see your earlier suggestion for Eclipse somehow.

I use Eclipse quite a bit myself, just the stock software and a few
minor plugins.  I've not seen it be unstable at all, and it performs
quite well.  It may be some of your trouble is coming from the extras
that have been added in your environment.

I find the editor to be very nice for working on Java code at least.
I would agree that configuration is a bit of a nightmare.. there are
just so many options and variables going on.  Even after using Eclipse
for over a year, there are major sections of the program I've never
seen.  I think the open-ended nature of it's design has had positive
and negative effects.  If you ever poke around in the plugin/addon
section... gods there are thousands of things you can add to it.